About

My photo
This blog is a culmination of two forever-bakers who have spent countless hours reading about, thinking about, and dreaming about baking delicious treats in our spare time. After taking a few cake decorating classes, our interest has soared to no end. While living and working in the same city has been a sweet treat in itself, a move across the state has spawned the desire to keep in touch by taking our love of baking and everything kitchen to the next level. So wipe your feet on the mat and stay awhile!

Labels

Monday, November 21, 2011

Southwestern Chicken Soup

Here are the things I love most about the fall, in no particular order:
1) Coats! They can hide all the bumps and love handles from the sweets that we all eat during this time of year...
2) Snow!  Since I live in Texas I can say that I LOVE the snow, and by snow I mean the cold stuff that comes down for 1 minute and doesn't stick to the ground.
3) Last, but not least, soup!  It's so versatile that you can use almost all the same ingredients, change just a few things, and have a completely different meal. Even better, you can throw all kinds of leftovers in a pot and come out with something delicious and filling.

I'd like to call this recipe a chicken tortilla soup like they do on the website I found it, but I'm having a hard time doing that because it just isn't quite what I think of when I have tortilla soup.  Instead, I'm going with Southwestern Chicken soup, toooooootally different, right?  I think that even with the changes I  made to the original recipe that it could use a little bit more spice, maybe some cayenne to kick it up a notch.  Either way, it is tasty and has a good helping of chicken and vegetables to fill you up on a cold night.

Southwestern Chicken Soup
adapted from allrecipes

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (32 oz) can chicken broth
1 c. water
1 (11 oz) can whole corn kernels
1 (11 oz) can hominy
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces

In a large stock pot heat the olive oil over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft, 5-10 minutes.  Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, tomatoes, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil.  Simmer this mixture for 10 minutes.  Stir in the corn, hominy, green chiles, beans, and chicken and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips to warm you up from head to toe!

-D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio