About

My photo
This blog is a culmination of two forever-bakers who have spent countless hours reading about, thinking about, and dreaming about baking delicious treats in our spare time. After taking a few cake decorating classes, our interest has soared to no end. While living and working in the same city has been a sweet treat in itself, a move across the state has spawned the desire to keep in touch by taking our love of baking and everything kitchen to the next level. So wipe your feet on the mat and stay awhile!

Labels

Friday, September 16, 2011

Dulce De Leche Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Lately I've become obsessed with Google Reader, I can browse tons of websites with just a scroll of the mouse.  In one night I found this hilarious post on awkwardfamilyphotos.com, saw some fabulous NY Fashion Week photos, and found this frosting recipe.  You'll be surprised to know that it wasn't the photos of fros or fashion that have COMPLETELY changed my life, well maybe not completely, but it definitely will make me rethink my frosting choices on cakes.  This frosing is light and creamy with just a hint of dulce de leche, and I'm pretty sure will be my new go to frosting for cakes, and for eating off of graham crackers, and for eating right out of a bowl...I'm out of control, hope you enjoy as much as I did!

Dulce de Leche Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4 egg whites
1 1/4 c. sugar
Pinch of salt
24 tbl. unsalted butter, softened
1/3 c. dulce de leche
1 tsp. vanilla

In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the 4 egg whites, sugar, and salt.  Put the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk constantly until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F (I have week wrists and stood on a chair so my arms wouldn't get tired, you can call me a baby if you'd like).  The mixture will no longer be clear and will be thicker.

Remove the bowl and attach the whisk attachment to the stand mixer.  Whisk on medium-high speed with the stand mixer for about 8 minutes or until the mixture has become thick, glossy, and can hold stiff peaks.  Turn the mixer down to medim and add the butter 2 tablespoons at a time, adding the next after the first one is completely incorporated.  After all the butter has been added turn the mixer back to medium-high speed and whisk until the frosting becomes thick, about 2-3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and dulce de leche and mix just until incorporated.  Eat straight out of the bowl......or I guess frost something.

-D

2 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sound heavenly and demand to be tried. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some extra time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Dabbling In The Delicious said...

We're so glad you enjoyed the blog! And trust us, that frosting is definitely worth the time. Thanks for visiting, hope you find some good recipes to try!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio