About

My photo
This blog is a culmination of two forever-bakers who have spent countless hours reading about, thinking about, and dreaming about baking delicious treats in our spare time. After taking a few cake decorating classes, our interest has soared to no end. While living and working in the same city has been a sweet treat in itself, a move across the state has spawned the desire to keep in touch by taking our love of baking and everything kitchen to the next level. So wipe your feet on the mat and stay awhile!

Labels

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hot Dog! The Mickey Cake



This weekend I spent a lot of time with a few close friends: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and of course, Goofey. Contrary to first thought, I did not take a trip to Disneyworld, although I would love to take a spin in those teacups again. No, I actually was busy in the kitchen making a cake for my niece's 2nd birthday this month. Her current choice of tv shows is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so naturally this was the cake theme. By the end of the weekend I, like her, could sing almost every song on the show. Go ahead and read on.

This was a marathon in the kitchen. It took me a whole day to make this cake, baking, rolling fondant, fast forwarding and rewinding Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to see the details. The inspiration for this cake came from Cake It or Leave It, a site with a plethora of cake pictures, all of them amazing. I followed the basic design but made changes as I went along. Here we go:

I started the day before making a few fondant shapes that needed to be stiff to stand up on their own.



I used a chocolate butter cake mix and made two 10 inch cakes and two 8 inch cakes for the layers. In between I used a basic buttercream filling.





Covering the cakes in fondant proved to be the hardest part. You have to work fast and also make sure its not ripping or buckling or basically turning into a nightmare. I would say the more you work with fondant the easier it is, but the first few times is definitely an experience you won't forget. I hadn't worked with fondant in about a year, so it took me a few minutes to get in the swing of things.



After covering the cakes, which brought me to about lunch time, it was making fondant shapes for the rest of the day and donning the cake with them. Here it is almost complete:



And here is Mickey, front and back, with all of this friends, loving life on the top of my little niece's cake:





Enjoy!

~T

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio